Sunday, August 7, 2011

Matthew 20:28

Just so, Jesus came not to be served, but to serve, and give His life as a ransom for many. ~ Matthew 20:28


This weekend, I, along with 7 other CORE (adult leaders) took our 22 mini CORE on a peer leadership retreat.


The team's verse for the year is Matthew 20:28.  



They were challenged to live according to the Gospel.  To be leaders like Jesus.  To commit to welcoming and inviting new teens each and every week.


The power of the Holy Spirit flows through these teens.
On Friday, we decided to offer confession before we left for the retreat.  All I had to do was say "there are 3 priests in the main sanctuary" and off they went.  We left cleansed!


Their first session was on prayer, as it is the most important part of serving in ministry.  You have to have a relationship with Christ, or you're self-serving instead serving.


We also practiced throughout the weekend the skit I wrote - Life Again.  Its a Reconciliation drama.  The teens performing are on fire for God, and therefore give each other feedback on how to make it better each time we practice.


The mini CORE's task at the end of the weekend was to write out a mission statement for the year. And, so I share it with you.




We are the mini’s of St. Thomas the Apostle, a group of high school students dedicated to bringing God’s light into the world of our peers.  Through patience, understanding, holiness, and love, we will strive to welcome any newcomers, provide comfort in times of difficulty and provide our peers with everything necessary to live in communion with God.  We intend to help nurture the future leaders of the Catholic Church.  We are the 2011-2012 mini Mighty CORE and this is our mission!

I am so privileged to be a part of this Life Teen program!

I never knew spiritual motherhood was so fulfilling!  I'm so glad to have these experiences.  To witness young people commit to living the Gospel.

At the end of Mass, the teens came up and signed their covenant in the presence of the parish community (the covenant will be laminated and placed on the youth room wall as a reminder) and then they read their mission statement.  It was such an awe-some sight.

Their covenant states:

I, __________________________, a member of the mini Mighty CORE Team choose to live the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I realize that God qualifies the called, He does not call the qualified – we are all sinners ( Romans 5:8). As Jesus came to serve not be served, so do I. The covenant I make with the other mini’s for the 2011-2012 year is:


∞ I commit to pray daily and to seek guidance for my life from the Holy Spirit.
∞ I choose to be active in my faith, fulfilling Mass obligations and having an active sacramental life.
∞ I choose to follow the teachings of the Church on matters of faith, reason, and morality, and to seek Truth when I do not know the answer.
∞ I desire to be like Jesus, therefore, I promise to serve without seeking anything in return. Always choosing J.O.Y. – Jesus first, Others second, Myself third.
∞ I promise to share my faith through my words and actions.
∞ I commit myself to a lifestyle that will be a model to my peers. I will avoid the use of drugs, alcohol, and sex outside of marriage. I will strive to avoid the use of profanity, sarcasm, and gossip.
∞ I commit myself to respect adults in authority especially our Youth Minister, Assistant Youth Minister, and adult CORE.
∞ I will help build up our Life Teen family by building relationships with new teens (introducing myself and talking to those outside my circle of friends).
∞ I understand it is my duty to fulfill my obligation to the 2011-2012 mini Mighty CORE team. Therefore, I understand our attendance policy:
o 1st absence from regular monthly meetings, I will receive a warning.
o 2nd absence from a regular monthly meeting, I will receive a 2nd warning.
o 3rd absence from a regular monthly meeting, I will be asked to step down from the 2011-2012 mini Mighty CORE team.


This is my favorite group photo of them:



No comments: